Help Me Maintain OUR Website!!!!!!
LINDNER, FRIEDERICH WILHELM.
A Professor of Philosophy in Leipsic, who publishedin 1818-9 an attack on Freemasonry`under the title of Mac Benac; Er lebet im Sohne; oder das Positive der Freimaurerez. This work contains some good ideas, althouch taken from an adverse point of view; but, as Lenning has observed, these bear little fruit because of the fanatical spirit of knight errantry with which he attacks the Institution.
One of the Working-Tools of a Past Master, and presented to the Master of a Lodge at his installation (see Plumb Line).
Brother Oliver says that the Linear Triad is a figure which appears in some old Royal Arch Floor-Cloths. It bore a reference to the Sojourners, who represented the three stones on which prayers and thanksgivings were offered on the discovery of the Lost Word; thereby affording an example that it is our duty in every undertaking to offer up our prayers and thanksgivings to the God of our salvation.
See Parallel Lines.
The Iingam and the Youi of the Indian Mysteries were the same as the phallus and dezs of the Grecian (see Phallic Worship).
A Degree formerly conferred in England, in conneetion with the Mark Degree, under the title of the Mark and Link or Wrestle, sometimes known as the Ark, Mark,Link, or Wrestle (see in this connection Genesis xi, 1-9; xxxii, 2G30). The Degree is now obsolete.
The author of the celebrated Masonic anthem beginning
Let there be Light! Th' Almighty spoke
Refulgent beams from chaos broke,
T' illume the rising earth.
Well pleased the great Jehovah stood
The Power Supreme pronounced it good,
And gave the planets birth.
Little is known of his personal history except that he was the Coroner of Wakefield, England, and for many years the Master of the Lodge of Unanimity, No. 238, in that town. He was a zealous and studious Freemason. In 1789 he published, at Leeds, a volume of plays, poems, and miscellaneous writings, among which was an essay entitled Strictures on Freemasonry, and the anthem already referred to. He appears to have been a man of respectable abilities.
LION, CHEVALIER DU.
French for Knight of the Lion The twentieth grade of the third series of the Metropolitan Chapter of France.
LION OF THE TRIBE OF JUDAH.
The connection of Solomon, as the Chief of the Tribe of Judah, with the Lion, which was the achievement of the Tribe, has caused this expression to be referred, in the Third Degree, to Him who brought life and immortality to light. The old Christian interpretation of the Masonic symbols here prevails; and in Ancient Craft Masonry all allusions to the Lion, as the Lion's Paw, the Lton's Grip, etc., refer to the doctrine of the resurrection taught by Him who is known as "the Lion of the Tribe of Judah." The expression is borrowed from the Apocalypse (v, 5): "Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the Book, and to loose the Seven Seals thereof." The lion was also a Medieval symbol of the resurrection, the idea being founded on a legend. The poets of that age were fond of referring to this legend ary symbol in connection with the Scriptural idea of the Tribe of Judah. Thus Adam de Saint Victor, in his poem De Resurrectione Domini, says:
Sic de Juda Leo fortis,
Fractis portis dirae mortis
Die surgit tertia,
Rugiente voce Patris.
Thus the strong lion of Judah
The gates of cruel death being broken,
Arose on the third day
At the loud-sounding voice of the Father.
The Lion was the symbol of strength and sovereignty, in the human-headed figures of the Nimrod Gateway, and in other Babylonish remains. In Egypt, it was worshiped at the City of Leontopolis as typical of Dom, the Egyptian Hercules. Plutarch says that the Egyptians ornamented their Temples with gaping lions' mouths, because the Nile began to rise when the sun was in the Constellation Leo. Among the Talmudists there was a tradition of the lion, which has been introduced into the higher Degrees of Freemasonry.
But in the symbolism of Ancient Craft Masonry, where the lion is introduced, as in the Third Degree, in connection with the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, he becomes simply a symbol of the resurrection; thus restoring the symbology of the Medieval Ages, which was founded on a legend that the lion's whelp was born dead, and only brought to life by the roaring of its sire. Philip de Thaun, in his Bestiary, written in the twelfth centurv, gives the legend, which has thus been translated by Wright from the original old Norman Freneh: "Know that the lioness, if she bring forth a dead cub, she holds her cub and the lion arrives; he goes about and cries, till it revives on the third day.... Know that the lioness signifies Saint Mary, and the lion Christ, who gave Himself to death for the people; three days He lay in the earth to gain our souls....By the cry of the lion they understand the power of God, by which Christ was restored to life and robbed hey."
The phrase, "Lion of the Tribe of Judah, " therefore, when used in the Masonic instructions, referred in its original interpretation to Christ, Him who "brought life and immortality to light."
The letter of John Locke which is said to have accompanied the Leland Manuscript, and which contains his cominents on it (see Leland Manuscript).
See Chartered Lodge.
See Clandestine Lodge.
See Domant Lodge.
See Emergent Lodge.
See Extinct Lodge.
See Sorrow Lodge.
See Holy Lodge.
Brother Laurence Dertnott says (Ahiman Rezon, page xxiii), "that Lodge hours, that is, the time in which it is lawful for a Lodge to work or do business, are from March 25th to September 26th, between the hours of seven and ten; and from September 25th to March 25th, between the hours of six and nine." Whence he derived the law is unknown; but it is certain that it has never been rigidly observed even by the Antient Lodges, for whom his Ahimun Rezon was written.
As a matter of general interest regarding Lodge hours we find in the Fabrie Rolls of York Minster, 1355, orders were issued for the guidance of the Operative Masons. In summer they were to begin work immediately after sunrise, until the ringing of the bell of the Virgin Mary; then to breakfast in the Fabric Lodge; then one of the Masters shall knock upon the door of the Lodge, and forthwith all are to return to work until noon. Between April and August, after dinner, they shall sleep in the Lodge; then work until the first bell for vespers; then sit to drink to the end of the third bell, and return to work so long as they can see by daylight. It was usual for this Church to find tunics, aprons, gloves and clogs—wooden-soled shoes—and to give occasional "drinks," and remuneration for extra work (see Fabric Rolls of York Minster, Surtees Society, volume 35, 1858; also Hole Craft and Fellowship of Masons, Edward Conder, Jr., page 38).
See Just Lodge.
In the year 1785, the Grand Lodge of Scotland granted a Warrant for the establishment of Roman Eagle Lodge at Edinburgh; the whole of whose work was conducted in the Latin language. Of this Lodge, the celebrated and learned Dr. John Brown was the founder and Master. He had himself translated the ritual into the classical language of Rome, and the Minutes were written in Latin (see Lyon's History of the Lodge of Edinburgh, page 257). The Lodge is No. 160 on the Scotch Roll, but ceased to work in Latin in 1794.
An article in the Builder, September, 1926 (page 275), by Brother Robert I. Clegg, mentions a peculiar use of Latin in a Lodge. An extract was copied for him by Brother A. H. Mackey from the records of Lodge Saint David, No. 36, at Edinburgh, Scotland. The famous novelist, Sir Walter Scott, was a member of this Lodge. The item from the Minutes of an emergency meeting on September 13, 1783, is as follows:
The Lodge being eonveened on an Emergency and the Right Worshipful being in the Country, Brother W. Ferguson took the chair and represented, That Fabian Gordons Esqr., Colonel of Horse, Carolus Gordon. Esqr., Maior of Foot; Stefanus Dziembowskie, Esqr., Captain of Foot. all in his Polish Majesty s Serviee, and Joseph Bukaty, Esqr., Seeretary to the Polish Embassv at London~ hasi applied to him to be made Masons and Members of this Lodge, and as he is particularly acquainted with them all, he recommends to his Brethren to grant their requested which being unanimously agreed to, they were introduced in the order above mentioned, when the ceremony was performed by the Right Reverend Brother John Maclure, Grand Chaplain, and translated into Latin by Brother John Brown, M.D., as none of them understood English. The Brethren were entertained in the tnost Elegant Manner by Voeal and Instrumental Music particularly by the whole Band of the 21st Regiment with Freneh Corns, Cor-de-Chasse Trumpets, Hautboys and bassoons.
At a later meeting, September 18, 1783, a Masters' Lodge was convened and the Minutes read:
That the four Polish Brethren had been extremely diligent in learning the apprentices' part, and as their time in this Country was to be short, they were anxious to be promoted to the higher Degrees, and for that purpose he had ordered this Masters' Lodge to be eonveened and hoped their request wou'd be granted and their Entries having proved tedious, first giving it in English and then translating it into Latin so the Most Worshipful Charles Wm. Little Esqr. Substitute Grand Master of Seotland had voluntarily offered to assist Brother John Brown, M.D., and Brother Clark, of Saint And'ws Lodge, and accordingly the Ceremony which took up above three hours was performed in very Elegant Latin.
LODGE MASTER, ENGLISH.
The French expression is Mastre de Lodge Anglais. A Degree in the nomenclature of Thory, inserted on the authority of Lemanceau.
LODGE MASTER, FRENCH.
In French the title is Maitre de Lodge Français. The Twenty-sixth Degree of the collection of the Metropolitan Chapter of France.
See Occasional lodge.
LODGE OF INSTRUCTION.
These are assemblies of Brethren congregated without a Warrant of Constitution, under the direction of a lecturer or skilful Brother, for the purpose of improvement in Freemasonry, which is accomplished by the frequent rehearsal of the work and lectures of each Degree.
The Bodies should consist entirely of Master Masons; and though they possess no Masonic power, it is evident to every Freemason that they are extremely useful as schools of preparation for the duties that are afterward to be performed in the regular Lodge. In England, these Lodges of Instruction are attached to regularly Warranted Lodges, or are specially licensed by the Grand Master. But they have an independent set of officers, who are elected at no stated periods—sometimes for a year, sometimes for six or three months, and sometimes changed at every night of meeting. They of course have no power of initia- AS tion, but simply meet for purposes of practise in the ritual. They are, however, bound to keep a record of their transactions, subject to the inspection of the superior powers.
LODGE OF SAINT JOHN.
The Masonic tradition is that the primitive or Mother Lodge was held at Jerusalem, and dedicated to Saint John, first the Bate tist, then the Evangelist, and finally to both. Hence this Lodge was called "The Lodge of the Holy Saint John of Jerusalem." From this Lodge all other Lodges re supposed figuratively to descend, and they therefore receive the same general name, accompanied by another local and distinctive one. In all Masonic documents the words ran formerly as follows:
"From the Lodge of the holy Saint John of Jerusalem, under the distinctive appellation of Solomon's Lodge, No. 1," or whatever might be the local name. In this style foreign documents still run; and it is but a few years since it has been at all disused in the United States of America Hence we say that every Freemason hails from such a Lodge, that is to say, from a just and legally constituted Lodge. In the earliest catechisms of the eighteenth century we find this formula: "Q. What Lodge are you of? A. The Lodge of Saint John. " And another question is, "How many angles in Saint John's Lodge?" In one of the advanced Degrees it is stated that Lodges receive this title "because, in the time of the Crusades, the Perfect Masons communicated a knowledge of their Mysteries to the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem," and as both were thus under the same law, the Lodges were called Saint John's Lodges. But this was only one of the attempts to connect Freemasonry with the Templar system.
LODGE OF THE NINE SISTERS.
See Nine Sisters, lodge of the.
See Just Lodge.
See Regular Lodge.
The FEeemasons on the Continent of Europe have a prescribed form or ritual of buildmgt according to whose directions it is absolutely necessary that every hall for Masonic purposes shall be erected. No such regulation exists among the Fraternity of the United States of America or of Great Britain. Still, the usages of the Craft, and the objects of convenience in the adminstration of our Rites, require that certain general rules should be followed in the construction of a Lodge-room. These rules, as generally observed in the United States of America, are as follows:
A Lodge-room should always, if possible, be situated due East and West. This position is not absolutely necessary; and yet it is 60 far so as to demand that some sacrifice should be made, if possible, to obtain so desirable a position. It should also be isolated, where it is practicable, from all surrounding buildings, and should always be placed in an upper story. No Lodge should ever be held on the ground floor. The form of a Lodge-room should be that of a parallelogram or Oblong Square, at least one-third larger from East to West than it is from North to South. The ceiling should be lofty, to give dignity to the appearance of the hall, as well as for the purposes of health, by compensating, in some degree, for the inconvenience of closed windows, which necessarily will deteriorate the quality of the air in a very short time in a low room. The approaches to the Lodge-room from without should be angular, for, as Brother Oliver says, "A straight entrance is unmasonic, and cannot be tolerated."
There should be two entrances to the room, which should be situated in the West, and on each side of the Senior Warden's Station. The one on his right hand is for the introduction of visitors and members and leading from the Tiler's room, is called the Tiler's, or the outer door; the other, on his left, leading from the preparation room, is known as the inner door, and sometimes called the northwest door. The situation of these two doors, as well as the rooms with which they are connected, and which are essentially necessary in a well-constructed Lodge-room, may be seen from the diagram, which also exhibits the seats of the officers and the arrangement of the Altar and Lights. We have already mentioned that the arrangement of the room as here described is a common one but is by no means universal. This should be kept in mind. For further observations, see Hall, Masonic.
See Sacred Lodge.
See Stewards' Lodge; also Grand Stewards' Lodge.
LODGE, SYMBOL OF THE.
The modern symbol or hieroglyphic of the word Lodge is a rectangle having unequal pairs of sides, the figure which undoubtedly refers to the form of the Lodge as an Oblongs Square. But in the old rituals of the early part of the eighteenth centurs we find this symbol: The cross here, as Krause (Kunsturkunden i, page 37) suggests, refers to the "four angles" of the Lodge, as in the question: "How many angles in Saint John's Lodge? A. Four, bordering on squares"; and the Delta, or equilateral triangle, is the Pythagorean symbol of Divine Providence watching over the Lodge This symbol has long since become obsolete. Another suggestion comes from the Swastica or Fylfot, elsewhere discussed, and the symbol may then be seen as in the accompanying illustration.
LODGE MASTER, ENGLISH.
LODGE MASTER, FRENCH.
LODGE OF INSTRUCTION.
LODGE OF SAINT JOHN.
LODGE OF THE NINE SISTERS.
LODGE, SYMBOL OF THE.
[What is Freemasonry] [Leadership
Development] [Education] [Masonic
This site is not an official site of any recognized Masonic body in the United
States or elsewhere.
Last modified: March 22, 2014